Fair is an ethical, digital banking and financial services membership platform created to put people over profit and help you keep more of your hard-earned money. By using Fair, you can avoid unnecessary fees while helping stimulate economic opportunity and wealth equity and experiencing a transparent banking experience.
The online banking services offered by Fair are for members only, so you will need to become a Fair member to hold accounts through Fair. At this moment, Fair membership costs $9.99 per month or $99 annually, with a limited time offer of $79 per year. Currently, members can access spending accounts with no hidden fees and debit card access to 55,000+ Allpoint ATMs with no fees and other banking features like sending money to other Fair members, bill payments, and international money transfers with no fee.
Fair has no physical bank branches and offers all its banking services through your mobile device or a browser. However, you can make withdrawals at more than 55,000 AllPoint ATMs in the U.S. for free using your debit card.
Since Fair is not a bank but a financial technology company, Fair banking services are provided by Coastal Community Bank, Member FDIC. And the Fair MasterCard® Debit Card is issued by Coastal Community Bank pursuant to a license by Mastercard International, Incorporated. This means your deposits at Fair accounts are FDIC-insured up to the legal limits through Coastal Community Bank.
Fair: Ethical Online Banking
Fair’s membership model puts people first over profits and wants everyone to reach their financial goals by helping the Fair community members. They are up-front with this philosophy and do not charge hidden fees. Some of the examples of how Fair practices ethical banking are:
- Socially responsible investing (SRI): This approach to investing reduces exposure to companies that could have a negative social impact, like poor labor standards or environmental effects.
- Environmental, social, and corporate governance (ESG) investing: Fair focuses on the sustainability of an investment and its overall impact.
- Refugee donations: Fair donates 2.5% of profits to refugee causes around the world
Fair: Banking and Financial Services
By joining Fair and paying your membership, you can unlock unlimited access to their banking services with an upfront cost, avoiding hidden or extra fees in the future. All services and products are managed online through a browser or a mobile app available from the App Store and Google Play Store.
The Fair Membership: Founders Circle
The Fair membership costs $9.99 per month or $99 annually. However, they offer access to their Founders Circle for a limited time, meaning you can become a lifetime member and access Fair’s features for a membership fee of $79 per month instead.
If you think about what other traditional banks charge for certain banking services, Fair claims that your membership will pay for itself after six wire transfers, after three overdrafts, or after just seven months of regular checking and savings account upkeep.
You can cancel your monthly and annual memberships with a 30-day notice. However, it is worth noting that the amounts you have already paid in membership fees are non-refundable. Once your account is closed, you will receive any outstanding funds in them.
Aside from the banking and financial services, Fair members can access live customer support by logging into their accounts online.
This is what the Fair membership includes:
The banking services that are currently available through the Fair mobile banking app are:
- Open spending or checking bank account with no bank fees
- Pay no monthly maintenance fees, no paper statement fees, no wire transfer fees, and no account overdraft fees.
- No monthly minimum balance: have a $0 balance for 90 days before your account is put on hold and reinstate it at any time by making a deposit or transferring funds into it.
- Get debit cards with no fees
- Access to over 55,000+ Allpoint ATMs to withdraw money for free
- Easily make bill payments online through bill pay
- Send money to other Fair members
- Make international money transfers with no fees
- Access all Fair online banking and financial services on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop, Android, iOS devices, or in a browser.
- FDIC insured deposits up to the legal limits insured by Coastal Community Bank, Member FDIC.
Future Financial Services
Fair is also working hard to release new products, services, and features for its members, and they have the below features on the roadmap coming up next:
- Banking: They are working on credit cards, a feature to get up to 2-day early access to direct deposit funds, a high-yield dividend savings account, and debit cards for kids with no fees.
- Lending: They are working on no-interest, equity-based loans and Buy Now Pay Later interest-free loans.
- Retirement Planning: They are working on pension programs and trust & estate planning services.
- Investments: They are working on socially responsible investing (SRI) and environmental, social, and corporate governance (ESG) investing measures advisory services.
- Small Business: They are working on a business dividend account, an advising and accounting platform, Buy Now Pay Later interest-free business microloans for vendors, and business credit and debit cards for the business accounts.
How to Get Started with Fair
To sign up for a Fair membership, you don’t need to be a U.S. citizen or a permanent U.S. resident. Once you have signed up for a Fair membership, you will receive a referral code to start with Fair ethical digital banking services.