Gone are the days when you needed to shell out big bucks to an accountant or toil over complex calculations with pencil and paper. Most of these programs allow you to get started for free, so you have an opportunity to experience their interface and verify that you’ll get all of the features you need before you have to pay a cent.
Top 7 Companies
- Get a plan that matches your specific needs
- Simple filing structure
- Get recommendations to lower future tax bills
- Unlimited phone and email support
- Special Offer: Get 15% off TaxAct Plus & Premium (offer expires soon)
- File any return, for a low price
- Prepare prior year returns at no cost
- Upgrade to deluxe to amend returns in case of audit
- Sign up for an account and try FreeTaxUSA for free
- Great value for those with complicated tax returns
- Understand and accurately report healthcare information
- Amend your return at no additional cost
- Special Offer: Take an Extra 20% Off Every Liberty Tax Online Tax Filing Solution. Use Code: LTOCJ20
- Low-cost, straightforward service with no-frills
- Only one charge for filing in multiple states
- Pay the lowest price possible upon filing
The scope of your finances, your employment type, and even your household size will influence which tax preparation software will be the best for you. When making your selection, remember that many higher-priced packages search for additional deductions and credits which will end up saving you even more, despite the upfront cost.
Most of these programs allow you to get started for free, so you have an opportunity to experience their interface and verify that you’ll get all of the features you need before you have to pay a cent.
Remember, your taxes are not something to take lightly, so it’s in your best interest to find the support you need to maximize your refund while protecting yourself from errors. If you are unsure about your specific tax situation, contact a tax professional or choose a service that includes regular contact with one.
One thing you can be sure you don’t want is fraudulent activity affecting your tax liabilities.
Take steps to ensure you are protected and get your credit report today.