Are ATMs Free Of Charge?
How can you find ATMs free of charge when they are used for withdrawals? Carrying large sums of cash is becoming less and less of a habit for people these days, which makes using an ATM a more essential need for many people. Anyone who withdraws from ATMs regularly knows that ATM fees can add up quickly if you don’t use in-network ATMs.Thankfully, several fee-free ATM networks have been created to help you access your money without getting charged each time you need cash. Find a bank near you and access local ATMs without any fees:
How Do I Find ATMs Free of Charge?
To be able to tell which of ATMs will incur an additional charge when used to withdraw cash, it is important to identify which ATMs are same with one’s bank, which ones are interbank networks and which ones have the STAR logo or another logo on them. For most people, it is easier to use the closest ATM to withdraw cash than to scout for ATMs that are among the in-network.
ATMs in bank network is free. When you withdraw money an ATM that belongs to your bank, it is free. The easiest way to find free ATM is by using your own bank when you want to withdraw cash. Your bank ATM will be free of surcharges, but not free for another customer with a different bank. If you don’t find your bank ATM near you, some banks fee rebates and reimbursement. It is important to look for the ATM of one’s bank to avoid any surcharges.
No-Fee ATM Networks
In-network ATMs are also ATMs free of charge. ATM network between bank and credit union partner is free to withdraw money. The list of Free ATM Networks are:
- Star Network: They have more than 2 million Star ATM location. Customers can use the locating tool from Star Network to look for the atm.
- CO-OP ATM: They have more than 30,000 ATM network for members of credit unions without paying a surcharge. CO-OP ATM Network is in seven eleven, supermarket, and credit union branches all over the U.S.
- PULSE: The ATM network with over 380,000 ATMs in the U.S that can be found by PULSE ATM Locator.
- MoneyPass ATM: with over 25,000 surcharge-free ATMs. Customers can open www.moneypass.com/atm-locator to find the ATM location. – PLUS Alliance Network – PLUS is a visa card alliance with 1million ATMs throughout 170 countries.
- ATM Networks are available in Target, Costco, Walgreens, Winn Dixie, CVS, Getgo. (Source 2)
- Allpoint ATM: It has 55,000 ATMs across United States, Canada, UK. The ATM machine is located in many stores including Costco, Target, CVS, Walgreens
ATMs that are in-network are also included in those that do not charge any additional costs.
ATMs That Charge a Fee
ATMs with the STAR logo or another logo incur a surcharge when anyone uses them for withdrawal. Inclusive in them are:
- The PLUS Alliance Network: If the bank is part of PLUS Alliance Network like VISA, the customer can withdraw money from the related ATM for free. We can identify by looking at the logo on the card and use it like any other ATM but there’s no surcharge fee.
- STAR logo: With star logo next to MasterCard logo, all 50 states can have surcharge-free in the nation or regional ATM.
- SUM logo: People who hold cards with the bright red SUM logo don’t pay the surcharge at the ATM. It offers surcharge-free access to ATMs in the United States.
Look out for the STAR or SUM logos, these ones are part of the ATMs that incur charges when making withdrawals. When using an ATM, it is also important to protect yourself against identity theft: