E-file is a straightforward tax filing service with limited features.
It offers three simple levels of service based on your finances: Free Basic for single or married filers with no mortgage or children; Deluxe for filers with children, a mortgage, or retirement income; and Premium for the self-employed and those who require additional schedules with their returns.
For simple returns, the basic features of efile can help get your taxes prepared accurately and quickly.
The most prominent bonus of efile is that they are transparent with the methods used to decide which tax service level is right for you, and will downgrade you when necessary so that you pay the lowest price possible upon filing.
If you file multiple state returns, efile will only charge you once—no matter how many you have to file.
- Free Basic: Federal $9.95 (discounted to Free); State $19.95.
- Deluxe: $39.95; State $19.95.
- Premium: Federal $49.95; State $19.95.
Ease of Registration: As with other services, just create an account and you can start your return for free.
Bottom Line: efile is no-frills, but it does offer basic features at a low price.
- Low-cost, straightforward service with no-frills
- Only one charge for filing in multiple states
- Pay the lowest price possible upon filing