Intuit’s TurboTax is one of the most streamlined and efficient tax platforms available.
TurboTax is perfect for those who are looking for an efficient way to maximize refunds. You answer simple questions about your financial situation and TurboTax does all the math.
The biggest perk of TurboTax is that it does the hard work & calculations for you. They have a maximum refund guarantee (or your money back) as well as a 100% accurate calculations guarantee. Plus, you can securely import your W-2, 1099-INT, and 1099-DIV from about a million companies.
Like other tax software options, there are multiple products – each tailored to a particular financial situation. If you aren’t sure which one is right for you, there is a tool to help you decide.
- You can file simple 1040EZ/1040A tax returns absolutely free
- If you are looking for maximum deductions and credits, you’ll want to upgrade to the Deluxe option.
- The Premier level allows you to prepare returns with investments and rental property.
- For self-employed individuals, the Self-Employed package takes care of both your personal and business expenses, maximizing deductions for both.
- TurboTax’s newest offering is TurboTaxLive, which gives you on-demand access to a CPA or EA who will also review your return before submission.
As an added benefit, TurboTax stores your information for you each year. So, later on, you can access your past returns and tax data without diving into the filing cabinet.
Even outside of tax time, you can use the free tax tools & calculators to save money all year long. We were impressed to see tools that help you calculate your W-4 withholding allowances, determine your tax bracket, find deductions, keep track of charitable donations, get your documents ready, and estimate your tax refund to find out how much you’ll get back (or owe) this year.
TurboTax lets you start for free – you don’t have to pay anything until you file.
- AbsoluteZero Free Edition for 1040EZ/1040A: Federal $0; State $0.
- Deluxe: Federal $59.99; State $39.99.
- Premier: Federal $79.99; State $39.99.
- Self-Employed: Federal $119.99; State $39.99.
- TurboTaxLive: Federal: $179.99; State $39.99.
Ease of Registration
Simple — answer a few questions and get started with the right product. Then, sign up for an Intuit account, and you can get started immediately entering your information.
TurboTax has brand recognition backed up by numerous features and ease-of-use. It can get expensive for those with more complicated tax structures, but the pros often outweigh the cons – especially when you factor in their guarantees and live CPA or EA support (if you need it).